Saturday, November 26, 2016

windows 7 - Huge memory usage in Nonpaged Pool


I have a one-year-old iMac with 8GB RAM running a bootcamped Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.


The following memory analysis with Sysinternals RamMap.exe leaves some questions open:


enter image description here


What could be the reason for the nearly 5 GB of memory in the Nonpaged Pool? How can I find out which driver is causing this huge memory usage?


Answer



Found it, you can add the column "NP Pool" to the "Processes" tab on Task Manager:


enter image description here


In my case, the culprit was Fling File Transfer, which has a serious memory leak. It was using more than 2 GB of the nonpaged memory pool before I restarted it. The above screenshot shows it after running for two minutes.


Bug report filed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...