Monday, November 21, 2016

exfat - Getting around the FAT32 4GB file size limit


I recently purchased a 32GB USB 3 stick that was formatted FAT32. I plugged it into my computer and attempted to copy a film onto it, the file was over 4GB however and it would not let me copy the file across because of the 4GB file size limit imposed by FAT32.


After some googling I found that I could format my USB stick to have an exFAT format which would mean I could put files onto the stick greater than 4GB in size and the drive would work on both my Mac and my PC.


The problem with this solution is that my PS3 cannot detect the USB stick when it is formatted with exFAT.


I would like to know if there is a way I can have my USB stick formatted so it can have files greater than 4 GB and work on my PC, Mac and PS3.


Answer



Unfortunately, there is no way to copy a >4GB file to a FAT32 file system. And a quick google says your PS3 will only recognize FAT32 file systems.


Your only option is to use smaller files. Maybe chop them into pieces before moving them or compress them.


I would try a networked solution to file sharing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...