Wednesday, November 30, 2016

drivers - How can I tell what PCIe USB 3.0 cards are compatible with NAS4Free / FreeBSD?

I have NAS4Free running on an HP ProLiant Microserver G7 N40L/N54L. The Microserver only has USB 2.0 ports, so I’m thinking of purchasing a PCIe card so I can use a USB 3.0 hard drive at full speed. How can I tell what cards are compatible?


I figure the yes/no in each case will depend on the chipset the card uses. From my research so far, it looks like it’s the xHCI driver that talks to the USB controller. (See 17.4. USB Storage Devices, and the xhci man page.)


Is this something that even needs to be checked? Or do all USB 3.0 chipsets have to present a uniform interface, such that a single generic driver (xhci) handles all?


If there are compatibility issues, does NAS4Free support all the chipsets that FreeBSD does? The latest NAS4Free, 10.1.0.2, is based on FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...