Sunday, November 20, 2016

No CD--how do I reinstall windows vista if I can't boot into vista?

I have acer aspire m3100. It has dual boot ubuntu 11.04 and windows vista 35-bit home edition. Either it was the psu or the motherboard died out on me and I recently made upgrades to my pc--



  • Asus M4N68T-M V2 MB Socket AM3 GF7025 Nvidia nForce 630a HT 2000

  • AMD Athlon II X2 250 3Ghz 2MB AM3 (65W)

  • Kingston 4GB 1333MHz DDR3

  • Thermaltake Litepower W0355 600W


Soon as I powered up the pc, it read my old hard drive and booted into ubuntu(by default). Seeing nothing wrong with the ubuntu system, I decided to boot into windows vista.


From GRUB, I choose windows vista as the OS to load. The farthest I got with the process was the startup repair where it was asking me to do start-up repair (or something like that), or load windows normally.


I choose startup repair, allowing it to finish, then the pc shuts down. On restart, I choose windows vista and I get a flicker of blue screen then the pc shuts down. Repeating the process, I found the message on the blue screen was IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.


I googled this and from what I've read, it probably had something to do with the hardware upgrade (among other things). I also learned that acer has a backup copy of windows vista on drive d. Since I can't boot into windows, how can I reinstall vista using the copy from drive d(not caring if I have to reinstall ubuntu in the process) ?


On power up, I have tried pressing F8, alt+F10, F10, F11--nothing. I read somewhere that I should enable D2D in the BIOS, but couldn't figure out how to do that.


To sum up--how do I reinstall windows vista if I can't boot into vista?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...