Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Why Windows toggles off laptop with new battery while Linux runs just fine

For most of what I do I (have to) use Windows 10. I got a new battery for a MSI GT70. With the new battery fully charged I can boot the machine to Windows, attempt a login, but before the desktop is shown, it just toggles off. With that I mean it is not a clean shut down. It also makes this strange "pock" noise. Maybe coming from the speakers or so. (It does not make that sound when the machine is turned off by holding the power button for 5 seconds.)


Then, with the same battery state, I can run Linux just fine. For hours, because the battery was fully charged.


Windows does recognize the battery to be fully charged. I even let Windows charge it from 2% to 100%. I got to the 2% battery state by letting Ubuntu drain it.


All the behavior described above only happens when the AC adapter is disconnected. Otherwise, Windows runs just fine.


I already uninstalled the battery drivers from Windows numerous times, with battery still in the machine, with the battery removed.


What in Windows can cause this immediate toggle off as soon as I login to Windows? The version I am using is Windows 10 1809.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...