Friday, November 25, 2016

remote - How can I organise files in a disconnected manner?

I know that cloud and syncing solutions are popular now, but I've got a scenario where I would like to work with files in a disconnected manner (i.e. without a network connection back to the computer where the files normally reside). It would not be a case of working with the content, but instead re-organising them and sorting them when I am offline and then have those changes applied when I reconnect.


I expect I could put some form of script together and then manually apply changes, but are there any other approaches I might be missing? I was thinking perhaps some form of disconnected filesystem.


The key tasks for me are:



  • Rename files and folders

  • Move files and folders from one folder to another

  • Delete files and folders (rarely)


Ideally I'm looking for something that works on Linux (which is run on both the "home" computer where the original files are and the "disconnected" computer). If it works on Android and/or Windows, so much the better.


In my scenario both computers are a single user set up (i.e. there's unlikely to be any file contention) but I can imagine others who might be interested in this type of solution might not be so lucky.


The reason that sync and cloud aren't viable / useful is that the files are too big and in most cases I know enough about them from the name / location alone, and merely need to apply some "order".


I've Googled and did turn up CODA but it seems not to offer quite what I'm after (nor stability or an active community, from what I've read - but no offence meant to any CODA-fans!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...