Sunday, November 20, 2016

windows 7 - File I can't take ownership of


I downloaded a file from the internet (I can link to it here, but in the interests of not annoying other users, I won't post the link), and I can't delete the file with the message:



You need permission to perform this action
You require permission from the computer's administrator to make changes to this file

Trouble is, I am the administrator and UAC is completely off.


If I go into the Properties/Security tab, I get the message



You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings

Clicking "Advanced"/Owner, it says:



Current owner: Unable to display current owner.

If i try to change the owner, I get the same message:



Unable to set new owner on file
Access is denied.

Answer



Give Unlocker a try. If there is any open file handle it will let you close it so you can successfully delete the file.


alt text


If that doesn't work for some reason, try BootDeleter. It will delete the file for you upon reboot, before Windows has a chance to lock it on you.


alt text


Both utilities are freeware.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...