Wednesday, December 20, 2017

windows - USB stick no longer recognised


I have an 8GB Transcend USB stick which - as of yesterday - is no longer recognised as such. When I plug into a USB port it shows as a new drive but clicking on the drive in Windows (XP) Explorer brings up the message "Please insert a disk into drive X:".


Looking at the drive Properties shows Type: Removable Disk, File System: Unknown, Capacity: 0 bytes.


Is there any way of rescuing this drive - more specifically the data on it?


TIA


Answer



Well, that's very interesting. I've just launched the Disk Management service in the Computer Management console and the USB drive is recognised and shown as healthy. I had changed the drive letter to Z a couple of weeks ago and I guess Windows Explorer, for some reason, hadn't recognised the change.


Anyway the USB stick is now shown in Windows Explorer (as drive Z), and PhotoRec now 'sees' the USB stick.


Thanks to all who responded.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...