Wednesday, December 13, 2017

linux - Redirect/Block outgoing HTTP traffic for a specific URL in Ubuntu

On my Ubuntu server I have some custom software running, that connects to its vendor server to search for updates. While this is useful in general, the software is not supposed to update itself for security reasons.
I found out that, if there's no internet connection, the software is unable to update, but will still start. But I obviously can't close the connection. The hosts file is not an alternative either, as the software needs to connect to the vendor for license checks.


So my question is: How can I redirct or block outgoing HTTP traffic for a specific URL.


tl;dr: http://www.vendor.com/license should be allowed, but http://www.vendor.com/update should be blocked for outgoing traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...