Monday, December 11, 2017

ubuntu - New hard drive/OS installation troubles

I recently suffered from a huge hard drive crash. I got a new hard drive for my laptop, an hp6910us (x2 turion, 3 gb ram...)



The HD is a 750GB 5400RPM SATA drive. After trying to install XP from CD, I learned that my CD drive was broken. Apparently, XP doesn't install well from USB drive, so that's out.



So, I just attempted to install Ubuntu 12.04. Maybe blindly jumping in headfirst with a USB install wasn't the best idea, but I read that it supports most hardware well, and installs easily.




After install, I get a black screen at bootup. I go into recovery mode, and try to repair all packages/dig around to see what system info will tell me.



Right now, I'm letting it repair packages, but it doesn't give feedback on progress at all. Is there a way to reinstall Ubuntu from recovery mode?
Or should I just try and find a USB CD drive to install XP from? (If I choose that route, can I have XP and a linux install coexist on the same drive?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...