Monday, December 18, 2017

Cannot boot from MacOS or Windows after attempting to shrink Boot Camp partition on MacBook

What I was doing:
I wanted to free up some space from my Boot Camp/Win 10 partition so I could install Linux. I used AOMEI's partition tools on Windows to shrink my Windows partition by 100gb. In the middle of the partitioning after my laptop restarted (60-70% done), my MacBook unexpectedly rebooted.



After it rebooted I got a Windows blue screen, with the error "Bad_System_Config_Info, and then restarted itself afterwards. After starting up all I saw is a blinking gray file icon with a question mark, and I rebooted my laptop again, this time holding down alt/option, and was greeted with no bootable drives to choose from. I entered the Mac Internet Recovery.




My current problem:
Inside the recovery settings, I opened up Disk Utility. There was no Mac OS partition, only a 250gb Windows one (500gb laptop). Despite the Windows partition only being 250gb, it says all 500gb was used up.
Disk Utility Screenshot
I have no idea what to do now, and I have some fairly important stuff on my Windows drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...