Saturday, December 16, 2017

Windows 8.1 fails to boot after Linux Mint 17.1 install

My brother wants to move to Linux, so he installed it on his second HDD. The second HDD was the boot sector drive, but Windows and all the data was on the first HDD. After installing, Linux would boot, but not Windows 8.1 .


So, I booted from the Windows Install disc, and ran startup Repair, which told me it failed, with no other explanation. I then tried other advanced options from a command prompt window, using diskpart as per How can I repair the Windows 8 EFI Bootloader? .


bootrec /scanos found the Windows install on C:
bootrec /fix executed OK, but
bootrec /rebuildbcd told me it failed.


And, now, Linux will not boot, either, but I can easily re-install Linux


How may I recover the Windows Boot instructions?


I do not know if this is relevant, but here's the partitioning:



sel vol 1



should show me the four partitions on sdb but instead I get the same as



sel vol 0



i.e., sda1 through sda11


sda1 Extended
sda5 - ntfs D:
sda6 - ntfs E:
sda7 - ntfs F:
sda8 - ntfs G:
sda9 - ntfs H:
sda10 - ntfs I:
sda11 - ntfs J:
sda2 Primary, ntfs, C:


sdb1 - fat32 Boot
sdb2 - ext4 /
sdb3 - ext4 /home
sdb4 - swap

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...