Saturday, December 23, 2017

windows - Report disk usage through SMB server




I have an SMB server (4.5.12-Debian) with several hard drives (all NTFS) attached as my local network backup storage. I would like to be able to see the current disk usage (free space / total space) of the drives. For all i know it's not possible to show that in the Windows Explorer but a regularly updated file on the drives that tells their usage would also work.



I've tried using individual mount points for the hard drives but i still don't see a disk space bar in Windows Explorer ("This PC").



What solutions are there?


Answer



I solved this by using individual mount points and network share points in the Samba configuration and then using the IP adress to connect to the network storage, then map the network share point to a network drive.



Solution found in the comments of this post: Mapping a SMB share in Windows


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...