Friday, December 22, 2017

Windows 10 only boots after pressing the reset button


My PC is self-built and has the following components:



  • Intel i5 6600K

  • Arctic Freezer 33 E-Sports Cooler

  • MSI Z170-A

  • Radeon Sapphire Nitro RX480 8GB

  • Kingston 8GB DDR4 3000 MHZ RAM

  • Crucial SSD MX300 120 GB

  • WD Blue 500 GB

  • Toshiba P300 2TB


Since a few weeks, Windows 10 only boots when I reset the PC, after it was turned off. Restarting is fine. But when the computer was shut down, only a reset will make it boot. It shows the Windows logo, then nothing happens. The dots circling will not appear.


The Windows event log does show the reset as kernel power event, but beyond that, no information is being logged:


screenshot of kernel power event 41


My SSD has 87% of life left, according to the Crucial software:


screenshot of crucial smart status


I ran sfc /scannow 2x on an elevated PowerShell and it found a few files that were repaired (probably from the resets), but this didn't solve the issue. A following "turn it off and on again" showed the same symptom.


The only thing I changed recently, was to disable Hyper-V as a Windows feature. However, the Hyper-V switch is still present. The other thing I noticed, is that my wallpaper on the login screen is often gone and only a grey screen is shown instead. Not sure if that has anything to do with.


Answer



This was troubling me for a while, but after changing the power plan to "high performance", it went away. Seems like AMD cards have an issue with restoring their power state on other plans. What exactly caused it I still don't know, but I can shut down and boot now without having to reset.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...