Thursday, December 21, 2017

hard drive - How do I get a report of HD smart data in FreeBSD 7.x/8.x


Is there a simple way to convince FreeBSD 7.x or 8.x to give me SMART data on hard drives? Preferably from the command line since I normally run these systems as headless servers.
I've been spoiled by Ubuntu desktop which reports hard drive SMART data via System/Administration/Disk Utility applet... but I'd rather not install Gnome on these FreeBSD systems if I can avoid it.


Answer



cd /usr/ports/sysutils/smartmontools/ && make install clean && rehash
smartctl -a /dev/ad0

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...