Wednesday, December 13, 2017

windows 7 - W7x86 USB Reinstall; "Setup was unable to create a new system partition" issue

I am running an Acer AspireOne AOD250. Doing a clean reinstall of W7x64 Ultimate. My problem is very similar to this one, except that I am installing from a USB as the Acer AspireOne does not have a CD/DVD drive.




What I have tried;




  1. Extracted HDD

  2. Ran it using an enclosure on another computer.

  3. Ran "diskpart">"list disk" and got the following



(I have no way of taking screenshots from the acer as the previous OS has already been wiped so bear with me and the alternate format of the information documented below.)




Disk####; Disk 0, Disk 1, Disk 2



Status; Online, Online, Online



Size; 149GB, 14GB, 3774MB



Free; 0B, 0B, 3774MB



Disk 0 is the Internal SATA HDD on the AspireOne




Disk 1 is my 16GB Toshiba Flash Drive with W7x86 Installation on it



Disk 2 is ??



(I am doing this for a friend who put a pirated version of W7Pro on it before). Also this Disk 2 doesn't come up in the "Install Windows; Where do you want to install Windows?" dialog, which baffles me and makes me wonder if it has something to do with the system partition creation/recognition problem that I am having.




  1. select disk 0


  2. Used both 'clean' and 'clean all' respectively on several different tries.


  3. create partition primary



  4. active


  5. Got the same picture as the link mentioned above "Setup was unable... etc.".


  6. Tried to make the System drive both in my other computer and in Win7 Installation Setup to no avail.


  7. Bios is set to boot from the flash-drive first and HDD second.


  8. To be sure; I am not getting the confirmation dialog about making the system partition when I delete and format the 150GB drive in W7x86 setup. Instead the computer just formats the computer and then when I hit next gives me the "Setup was unable...etc" error.


  9. Also, when I formatted the drive with a System drive and activated it and then also added the regular primary partition, the same error was given when I went into windows install and selected the primary partition 'Setup was unable...'.


  10. Just to see what it would do, I even selected the 180GB active system partition once and hit next and it gave me an expected 'Not enough room to install Win7 error'.




I am stumped and frustrated. I would start swearing about the stupid engineers at Microsoft, except that as a Mechanical Engineer myself, I know that 90%'ish of the time people who do that are just too ignorant to get the answer they need/ or to understand the reason things are designed the way they are.




Thanks for any help that anyone can give me. And as I am someone who is on the Autistic spectrum specific responses are much easier for me to understand then general instructions (step-by-step specifics if you have the ability and time...or applicable links to step-by-steps). Sorry for the length of my post.



Addendums/Replies: I downloaded the drivers for the Acer Aspire One AOD250, and made sure to load the compatible W7x86 SATA driver and install it in the W7x86 Installation. It didn't seem to make a difference, but I could have done it improperly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...