Sunday, December 31, 2017

windows - How to remap special keys on Asus laptop?

I have Asus M51Sn notebook, running Windows 7 (but also Linux, but this question is just about Windows). As you can see in the following image, it has five completely useless keys at the top of the keyboard. I want to remap such keys to useful things.


enter image description here


In this laptop, I have to use Fn+F5 and Fn+F6 to change the brightness, and Fn+F10, Fn+F11 and Fn+F12 to mute or change the volume. These actions are VERY cumbersome, as they need two hands to be pressed and I need to look at the keyboard to find where is the correct key. What I want is to remap the useless keys at the top (as seen in the previous picture) to change brightness and volume.


As I said, I need a solution for Windows 7 (I've already remapped the keys on my Linux system).


I have installed a program from Asus called ATK Hotkey, which is responsible for showing OSD messages about brightness/volume changes. However, this program is very bad, as it runs completely hidden from the user and has NO configuration at all. Not even configuration files, it has just a few EXE and DLL files, nothing more. It is so bad that the "open browser" key on my keyboard always launch Internet Explorer, even if it is not my default browser. If needed, I will happily uninstall this program if I find something better. (remapping keys to useful actions is much more important than OSD messages)


Things I've already tried


Uninstalling ATK Hotkey


Without ATK Hotkey, I can still change the brightness (as it is probably handled by BIOS), but Fn+F* keys don't change the volume anymore.


SharpKeys 3.0


SharpKeys 3.0 couldn't read any of the special keys on my laptop. My bet is that they aren't actual key presses, but instead ACPI events. Thus, I need a way to map some ACPI events to useful actions.


AutoHotkey


I've tried installing AutoHotkey and running a script to find scancode of a key. No luck, these special keys on my laptop don't appear to generate scancode or keypress events. (got this idea from a StackOverflow answer, too bad it didn't work for me)




Update, 4 years later: In 2014, that notebook broke and I stopped using it. In addition, I don't run Windows on my current notebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...