Tuesday, December 26, 2017

partitioning - Windows Vista partition will not resize using normal tools. Any advice?



I have a 120GB hard drive split into two partitions (C and D). Windows Vista is installed on the C partition with most of my files on D.



As I am starting to run out of space within the C drive of my laptop I want to take 20GB of space from the D partition and add it to C, but after trying out the Disk Management application that comes with Vista I have been able to take space from D but not extend it to C. I've also tried using the command line but received an error once again.




I don't really want to have to reinstall everything again, and I've heard that many of the typical programs out there tend not to work so well with Vista. Is there any way to extend the space on C?


Answer



I would take a look at Gparted.



Gparted allows you to rearrange, shrink, grow and do many "funky" things with hard drives.



It may not work if you have a special setup or use Bitlocker/Full Drive encryption.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...