Thursday, December 21, 2017

windows 7 - Freeing up space on SSD


I have a 120GB SSD with basically only the system (Win7) installed on it and yet I'm having really hard time maintaining enough free space to install one game and leave the recommended 20% of space free. I have already:



  • disabled hibernation

  • disabled file content indexing

  • junction linked all the libraries to the HDD, redirected all the caches to the HDD (Spotify, Apple etc.)


I also have zero system restore files and I cleaned up the drive using the built-in cleanup tool.


Yet, I still have a total of 64GB occupied by the Windows [38.6GB], ProgramData [5.8GB], Users [5.4GB] and Program Files (x86 and the regular one) [10.8 and 3.9GB] folders which leaves me with ~30GB if I want to maintain the 20% of free space. What else can I do to conserve some space? All the tips I find online are either the ones I've already done or giving very little gain in terms of free space.


Answer



The Windows Installer folder is rarely used and doesn't benefit from residing on the SSD. Since yours is 13.6 GiB in size, consider moving it to another drive.


This should be just as easy as junction linking the libraries, as long as you remember that you need administrative privileges to remove a folder or create a junction in the Windows directory.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...