Tuesday, July 18, 2017

windows - How to dual boot (Ubuntu-Win) with Lenovo U41-70? - Issue with partitions and recovery

My Lenovo U41-70 (i7-5500U) came with a licensed Windows 8.1 (upgradable to Windows 10) and has by default the following partitions:




  1. ~1000 MB (Recovery partition)

  2. ~260 MB (EFI system partition)


  3. ~1000 MB (OEM partition)

  4. ~13 GB (recovery partition)

  5. ~25 GB (Primary partition) - D: drive called Lenovo to store data

  6. ~900 GB (boot, page file, crash dump, primary partition) - C: with the OS installed



It has a recovery button/software which allows you to recover the original OS, namely the Windows 8.1 but I didn't get any Windows installation disk. The problem is that this recovery software seems to work only if the original partitions are untouched. Therefore if I create a partition for Ubuntu or for keeping my data separated from the OS I will lose my licensed Windows.



My question is: how can I install Ubuntu and create 1 or 2 data partitions without losing the possibility to reinstall my (licensed) Windows?




The recovery software installs back Windows 8.1 but I actually use Windows 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...