Wednesday, July 26, 2017

All program groups in Windows XP show "Empty" after malware infection

I'm trying to repair a Dell laptop running Windows XP SP3 that was infected with a variation of fairly typical malware that makes a user think a virus was detected and prompts them to go purchase a solution.


I am pretty sure I deleted the executable responsible for the initial problems. Task manager had been disabled, right click had been disabled, all system files had been set to "Hidden" and all program folders in show "Empty" where you expect to see program names like Excel or Notepad. I did verify that all those program files are still in their proper folders, they've just been removed from the All Programs menu.


I unhid the files, I fixed the registry to renable right click, Task Manager, and to show desktop shortcuts.


However I still have a lingering problem in that all program groups continue to show Empty and the Quick Launch area next to the Start button is empty. I've confirmed that this behavior is present regardless of the profile so I can't just delete the user's profile and recreate it. If it's another registry setting I have been able to identify it. Anybody know how to restore these program groups? Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...