Monday, July 31, 2017

audio - Windows XP machine is not making 'event' sounds

My neighbour has a machine running XP that no longer makes Windows 'event' sounds, such as the Startup/Shutdown sounds. I've checked all the obvious things. If I go in to edit the sound scheme, I can see the sounds are assigned to the event, I can click the little 'play' button and it plays the right sound. It just won't make any noise on its own.



What really got me stumped was that if I click the volume icon in the system notification area and then start changing the volume, rather than a ding sound at various volumes from the speakers, all I get is a beep from the internal speaker.



It's an HP machine of some sort, with Realtek audio.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...