Thursday, July 27, 2017

display - Extending monitor power supply DC cable


I have 3 LG monitors mounted on my desk.


Two of those are barely reachable by the DC power cable: it is only 1.2m long and I need at least 50cm more for it to fit in my cable management system. So at the moment those power blocks are just dangling from the desk.


Extending the AC cable part of the adapter is not an option: the actual block has to stay under the desk.


I can't find a suitable replacement adapter for my 2 screens, so I thought about extending the DC cable by +/- 50cm.


I've seen some posts here and there about the voltage dropoff when extending a DC cable, but those posts were mainly about extending the cables by a few meters, not 50cm.


I'm also worried about any noise it might generate in the signal.


So is there anything I should keep in mind when doing this?


And about the actual extending itself: if it can be done, do I need to solder the cables or can I use something like a screw-terminal block?


Power block with 20AWG cable of 1.2m length


Answer



The best way to do it is to solder the wires together and then put shrink tubing around them as shown in this video


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATioUXpC05w


But it is probably sufficient to just twist the wires together without soldering as this video demonstrates


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8_s1xr_p9Q


But try not to use extremely thin wire.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...