Sunday, July 16, 2017

windows 7 - Kali Linux and Win 7 dual boot, I want to change the active partition and bootloader, not sure in what order

I created a partition for Kali Linux and a Live USB. I used the Live USB, was intrigued by what I saw ( first time ever seeing Linux ) and chose to install but the install wouldn't complete.


Several attempts failed, so I thought maybe something was wrong with the USB but when I rebooted I got nothing , like my hard drive was gone.


I booted back into the USB and after running through the install process again I got Kali up and running. Rebooting then took me straight into Kali, but F5 takes me into GRUB boot screen and I can choose to boot into Win 7 from there.


Looking at my disk management from Win shows that my Linux partition is now my active drive.


This is my question :
If I make Win partition my active drive again do I have to repair/replace the bootloader first? What I would really like is for the boot options to appear automatically when I turn on or restart and if that is not possible I would like Win 7 to be the automatic go to.


Another question :
Is there a way to have Win bootloader initialize first then upon choosing Linux drive the grub loader initializes?


I'm very new to Linux and bootloaders, and am trying to absorb all I can.


Can anyone shine some light?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...