Monday, July 24, 2017

windows 8.1 - Unexplained RAM usage



I have had my MSI GT70-20C laptop for almost a year now but recently I have been having trouble with performance drops due to the over use of memory. This occurs when i start doing activity or even running low intensity games.



My laptop has 8Gb or Ram and even on start-up it is using 77% of memory. This doesn't sound right to me and it is only recently that I have noticed a drop in performance. The only real major background activity is from my BitDefender, but even then it is only using 200MB. Could you guys please have a look and see what other stuff does not need to be running or killing my memory?




I have attached some screenshots of my processes in task manager to try and narrow down what is need and which is not. Please ask for more details if required.



memory usage screenshot
memory usage screenshot
memory usage screenshot
memory usage screenshot
memory usage screenshot



As i do not have enough reputation to add photos or more then 2 links please refer to my question at stackoverflow for more detail.




enter image description here


Answer



Thank you Scott Chamberlain for suggested the RAMMap application. I downloaded it and found that i had a 4GB driver lock. After taking some time to think what could be the reason for this, i revisited my Hyper-V and found i had a virtual CRM server with a dedicated 4GB allocated to it! Been running for 4 months without me realising!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...