Friday, July 21, 2017

windows 7 - Advice on replacing hard disk with bad sectors

So recently my I encountered an event 11 atapi error in my event viewer. It says The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0. I am running Win 7 SP1. This all started after I noticed some intermittent FPS drops when playing a game. I suspected it has something to do with my hard disk.


So I downloaded Seatools, ran all the available tests and the disk failed the long generic test but passed the others. I also ran HDDscan and crystaldiskinfo to check the smart values and it doesn't look too good:


https://imgur.com/a/yIuVxFR


Judging from the image, I think my hard disk has some bad sectors. So I transferred all my games to a different disk. Right now the disk only contains media files i.e movies, comics and music. There are no programs installed on this disk. It is 4 TB in size, partitioned into 4 parts, but not all the space are used. It still has roughly 1.2 TB free.


The thing is, even though this hard disk is only roughly 5 years old, it rarely sees heavy duty work. I only use it to dump media files into. Most of the time it remains unused, except for occasionally viewing the stored media files. It's a seagate ST4000DM000. I'm a bit dissapointed, since my other drive, a Toshiba is running perfectly fine with no errors reported despite being older and having all my programs and windows installed on it. It's definitely seen more usage than the Seagate.


I ordered a new WD Red 4 TB and right now I need several advice on how to proceed. I want my new drive to be as my old drive with all the partitions for a seamless experience so I have several questions:



  • Should I just clone the old hard disk onto the new one? If I do this, what are the risks of the having the bad sectors replicated onto the new drive? Will this decrease the longevity of the new drive?

  • Or should I use Windows 7 backup tool to backup the entire hard disk to the new one and restore it? If I do this, can windows restore the exact clone of my old drive with all the partition letterings? Will the bad sectors be duplicated?

  • Or should I just make the exact same partitions with the new disk and copy and paste everything manually? Which method is the safest?


And finally when the transfer is complete, can the old hard drive still be used after I reformat it? Are the bad sectors fixable?


Thank you very much for your advice.
t

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...