Monday, July 24, 2017

Fresh installed Windows XP refuses to update

today I installed Windows XP SP2 Home on a computer. I went to try to run Windows Update on it and was greeted with "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view -- error number 0x8024400A"


enter image description here


I've encountered this kind of problem a lot of times. I remember when I worked at a computer repair shop 6 or so years ago I encountered it on a lot of computers running Windows XP. I never figured out how to fix it other than to do a reinstall of Windows. Googling for the error number never came up with any solutions either.


What is it that causes this problem and how do I fix it?


Edit:


Well, now I've installed windowsupdateagent30-x86 and that got me to where I can now browse a list of needed updates, but when I go to install updates I get the same generic error message, but with error number 0x80070715

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...