Saturday, July 8, 2017

data recovery - An abnormal high pitch sound is coming from my hard drive


My hard drive is making a high pitched sound. And it has now for a few months, however in the past week or so the sound has gotten worse. What surprises me is that my laptop is not even a year old. I know that it's the hard drive because I have narrowed the sound to coming from the hard drive.


My first question is what does it mean and next, does it mean that my hard drive is ready to fail? If my hard drive is about to fail then how can I go about saving all my applications and transferring them onto my new hard drive?


Answer



First, are you sure it is the drive, and not a fan, the power supply unit, or commonly, a wire hitting a fan? Sorry, I have to ask.


If it is the drive for sure, then I would image it ASAP as your drive could be headed to the graveyard. You can use free Clonezilla.


http://clonezilla.org/


Take the current drive and send it back for warranty, as it is almost certainly still under.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...