Sunday, July 16, 2017

boot - Trouble with booting machines by bootable USB drive of Windows 10 ISO image


I have downloaded Windows 10 ISO image and I'm used dd command on Linux to make a bootable USB drive:


$ sudo dd if=Win10_1903_V2_English_x64.iso of=/dev/sdc
$ sudo sync

I when I try to boot an Asus laptop with the USB drive, it is on the boot menu. However when I select it and press enter, this message is received:


Asus boot message



Reboot and Select proper Boot device


or Insert Boot media in selected Boot device and press a key



Also tried on a HP ProBook 450 G3, the USB drive is on the boot menu, but when selecting it and pressing enter, a quick black screen is shown and then jump back to boot options.


I wonder what I'm missing. Thanks.


Answer



Problem got resolved by following these instructions to create bootable USB device out of Windows ISO image:


http://www.poweriso.com/tutorials/how-to-make-win7-bootable-usb-drive.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...