Wednesday, July 12, 2017

how to only install security/critical updates on windows 10


I recently updated windows 10 using windows update after a fresh OS install and noticed it reinstalled a lot of the bloatware I removed beforehand and installed new useless software, changed my privacy and device settings, re-enabled many services that I had manually disabled. So I was wondering if there was a way to only install security/critical updates on windows 10 and not have the update also change my settings and configurations.


Answer



If you're on Windows 10 Professional, Enterprise, or Education,



  • Go to Settings.

  • Click Windows Update.

  • Scroll Down and click on Advanced options.

  • Tick the checkbox that says Defer Updates.


This prevents Windows from downloading feature updates and only critical security updates are installed.


You won't have a problem with Windows reinstalling bloatware and changing your security settings once you install the Creator's update as Windows will respect your choices.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...