Tuesday, July 18, 2017

windows 7 - How to scan and remove MBR viruses?


Once I read that the Windows 7 installation disc could clean an infected MBR. I also found an article that suggested one tool to scan the MBR for viruses. And I also read that one MBR virus could prevent the loaded OS from writing to the MBR, but it could fool it in believing that the writing was successful.



  1. Does MS Security Essentials scans the MBR?

  2. Should I trust Geekstogo's MBRCheck.exe?

  3. What tools can help me to scan an clean my MBR?

  4. Will a Windows reinstall clean my MBR?


Answer




  1. Nothing can, I dont think

  2. Yes, to the extent its not a virus or anything, I don't know how helpful it will be.

  3. See here for how to rewrite your MBR.

  4. Bootstrapp from a read-only installation disc into the recovery console and use bootsect. Thank you @JdeBP


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...