Saturday, July 22, 2017

security - Windows 7 indicates "you need permission to perform this action" (deleting file)



I'm logged in as an Administrator on Windows 7. When I try to delete a folder (which shows Security settings indicating that Administrators have FULL access) I get a message that :


You require permission from SYSTEM to make changes to this file.


I don't have any other user accounts on this computer.


What's up with this?


Answer



I figured it out:


The file is owned by SYSTEM (system service)


You have to change the ownership via command line: takeown /f (this is from How To Geek which then recommends using the CACLS command but that's been deprecated and it's easier to do it via the Security interface)


Right click the file and choose Properties> Security tab> choose Administrators (if you are one) then set the Edit Permissions, setting it to FULL.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...