Sunday, December 22, 2019

windows 7 - Something uses 1GB RAM - cant tell what it is

I have a computer with 8GB of RAM installed and it is running Windows 7 Professional. I was curious why my memory usage is so high, so I quickly build summary using Powershell:


$(Get-Process | measure -Sum -Property VirtualMemorySize).sum/8/1024/1024
3147,34033203125

If I open resmon at the same time it says that 4430MB RAM are used. So there is more than 1GB "missing", please see the screenshot below. Can you help me find it? Taskmanager also shows the same memory value as resmon.


RAM usage powershell vs resmon


My prediction is about my usage of a RAMdisk and different programs for that purpose in the past. I observed the following: Currently I'm using "ImDisk" for creating the RAM Disk. I've added a 1GB RAM disk and taskmanager/resmon sees the new RAM Disk as used RAM, while powershell's get-process does not (please see second screenshot). So how can I determine the correct memory usage with powershell? And is it possible, that there is an old ram disk driver that I used in the past still somewhere hidden in the system occupying the missing amount of RAM? Does Powershell's get -process take system servies into account? Thank you for your help!


enter image description here


Update 1:
RAMMap Screenshot (1GB RAM Disk running):


enter image description here


Update 2:


Poolmom Screenshot (1GB RAM Disk running):


enter image description here

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...