Tuesday, December 31, 2019

cooling - Why is my computer fan so loud?



Recently my home desktop computer has been reacting a lot more to heat levels. The fan starts maxing out just about any time the CPU is used, and it's very loud. It didn't use to do this - only in the last year or so (it's about 3 or 4 years old). I've removed all the dust I can find, but Speedfan shows it's running at about 130 degrees, and when it goes a tick above that the fan goes crazy.



Any ideas? Can the heat sink fail over time? Do I need to get better/quieter fans?



I'm not looking to put a lot of money into this system, so I'm hoping for any low cost ideas.


Answer




It sounds like the bearings on your fan have worn. The cheapest solution is to buy a new fan.



Remove the old one and take it down to your nearest computer parts shop and get one the same size and rating and with the same plugs to replace it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...