Saturday, December 14, 2019

Reading P2 card with standard PC Card (PCMCIA) reader


I have a Panasonic professional video camera which uses P2 cards.


Looking for a way to connect them to the computer without using the camera, I found that the only P2 reader in the market is the one released by the same manufacturer. Going deeper in my researches, I concluded that a P2 card is simply in a PC Card closure with a special controller and SD cards inside.


So now i'm wondering if a generic USB PCMCIA card reader (much more affordable, although they aren't yet very common, and you find lots of PCMCIA cards to get extra USBs instead of that) like one of which are shown in that images will allow me to do that - obviously with the P2 driver installed in the PC.


Answer



After 76 views and the superuser community not knowing about any techical reference or use case that could demonstrate if that will work, I'll treat the question as "excessively specific" and not contributive.


Anyway, if anyone is in the same case, and as @SmirksWhileWalkingWCabaretGirl pointed, a workaround for my needs is take advantage of the ExpressCard34 slot of the laptop and look for a CardBus to ExpressCard34 converter, which is more much easy to find and much more affordable.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...