Saturday, December 28, 2019

laptop - Driving two 2560x1440 displays with Lenovo T430 and 433715U ThinkPad Mini Dock Series 3


I want to grab a second HP ZR2740w for use in my home office. I have a Lenovo T430 with an Intel HD4000 GPU, not the nVidia model.


The HP monitors come with Dual-Link DVI or DisplayPort for connectivity. The Lenovo dock has a single DisplayPort, a single-link DVI, and a VGA connector. The only output on the dock that supports 2560x1440 is the DisplayPort, which is in use by my current single monitor.


The options, as I see them, are:



  1. Get a second monitor and use a DisplayPort to mini-DisplayPort cable and plug it directly into my laptop's mDP port. According to random forums on the Internet, this will work, but I can't find an official support statement from Lenovo on this. It also defeats the purpose of the dock.


  2. Get a second monitor with a lower resolution and connect it to the dock's single-link DVI. This is a bummer, as there's a sweet deal going on near me for the HP monitor that I mentioned, and I already own one of them.


  3. Get some kind of DisplayPort splitter. I've seen some talk that electrically, a single DP connector can support two devices at 2560x1440. Is this true? Will these devices work on the dock that I've mentioned?



Unfortunately, it's not possible to get a new dock. They are work-issued. Also, if there are any options that I've missed, feel free to chime in!


Answer



I ended up biting the bullet and doing option #1 with a DP to mDP cable and connecting directly to the laptop's mini-DisplayPort for the second screen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...