Thursday, December 19, 2019

windows 7 - Deleted contents of winsxs folder and BSOD


What can I safely delete from the "C:\WINDOWS" folder?


I deleted the contents of that folder and my Windows 7 BSODs now.


Do I have to reinstall?


Answer



http://www.howtogeek.com/174705/how-to-reduce-the-size-of-your-winsxs-folder-on-windows-7-or-8/



The WinSXS folder contains all Windows system components. In fact,
component files elsewhere in Windows are just links to files contained
in the WinSXS folder. The WinSXS folder contains every operating
system file.



So, yes, you'll have to reinstall.


(I'm curious how you managed to delete those files. That's a system folder, at least some of them would have been in use, and it would've taken some effort to get them deleted.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...