Wednesday, December 25, 2019

macos - Can't create user on Mac with dscl command



I was trying to create a postgres user using the command



sudo dscl . -create /Users/postgres


But failed. Got the following output



create: Invalid Path

DS Error: -14009 (eDSUnknownNodeName)


I had used dscl create and dscl delete commands prior to this failure.



sudo dscl . -create /Users/postgres
sudo dscl . -delete /Users/postgres


I think somehow I screwed up the system. How can I fix it?



Answer



Finally figured out that there is was one plist file left. Had to delete



/private/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/users/postgres.plist


then creating user was successful.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...