Friday, December 13, 2019

linux - Black Screen, Blinking Cursor (Ubuntu install) Super Grub 2 works


FIRST: I know this same problem has been discussed, but I have tried things and haven't found anything regarding Super Grub 2 and such.


Well the issue is pretty much defined in the title, but to be more precise:


System boots up and let's me go in the BIOS or Boot Manager. After that it boots to a black screen with a blinking cursor but it doesn't go past it.


Now the funny thing is that if plug in my UBS stick with Rescatux installed (Rescatux + Super Grub 2 Disk) and choose Super Grub 2 Disk and then there choose Detect any GRUB2 configuration file (grub.cfg) it leads me to a menu with (hd1,msdos1)/boot/grub/grub.cfg and let's me boot into Ubuntu.


My specs are as follows:


Intel HM76 board
nVidia GT650M
i7-3630QM
8GB 1600Mhz RAM
First HDD: 120GB Kingston V300 SSD (has Ubuntu not partitioned)
Second HDD: 500GB WD Scorpio Blue (has 8GB as SWAP and the rest as an unmounted EXT4 partition)

Edit: BIOS version is InsydeH20


Edit 2: I've also tried to install GRUB on my second hard driver, but no luck booting.


What seems to be the issue is that I can boot from a USB stick but not from an HDD, any tips?


Answer



Finally solved it (probably not the best way to do it, but who cares!) and here's how I did it:



  1. 1- Plug in Super Grub Disk2 and boot into Ubuntu

  2. sudo apt-get install multisystem

  3. Once there it will ask you where to install GRUB2 (don't ask me why)

  4. I choose to install it on every disk but the usb drive.


And you are done!


Hope this helped some one.


Correction:


The right way to do this is:


sudo apt-get purge grub-pc grub2
sudo apt-get install grub-pc grub2

Here we choose to install it on every disk available (just in case)


sudo reboot

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...