Wednesday, December 18, 2019

connector - Not sure what this DVI-like port on my PC is



I have a re-manufactured HP Compaq dc7700p Small Form Factor running Windows XP (for some reason inside the Windows Vista Boot Manager, instead of the WinXP NTLDR).



On the back of my PC, I have what looks like a DVI Port, and that's what I thought it was. When I bought a DVI to VGA Cable (to connect a second screen), it wouldn't fit. I took a look and found that the DVI connector was different to the port on my PC. I would love to post some pictures, but being a new user, I can't.



enter image description here
What I want to know is what port this actually is, so that I can find a suitable converter.




The only difference between this and DVI is at the end with the 4 square pins and the +-shaped pin. The + pin is still there, but instead of the 4 dots, I have two flat lines underneath the squares (above the +), which are of the length of 2 of the squares.


Answer



Just so you know, a DVI to VGA cable will not work without the two pins above and two pins below the "bar" or "plus"; that is what carries the analog signal


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...