Sunday, December 29, 2019

memory - Can I find the exact type of RAM without looking inside?






There are similar questions but nothing exactly about this:


Without opening the computer, how can I determine what kind of RAM to buy?


I want to max out my RAM to get a cheap and simple performance improvement. I know I'm running a 32-bit OS and upgrading to 4GB will only give me 3GB, but I could consider going 64-bit later on so I really do want 4GB.


I've got the machine specs sort-of but not so precise that I can deduce the exact RAM format. I know I've got 4 slots, 2 of which are in use with 1GB in each.


I could open the machines (there are two different machines), count the pins, photograph the RAM sticks, and post everything here -- but I'd rather not unplug and open the machines because they're tucked a bit out of the way. I know I need to open the machines to install the RAM anyway, but I'd prefer to open them only once.


Is there another way to identify the RAM precisely enough to be able to order more RAM based on that information?


Answer



Go to Cruical.com and run their test. It will tell you.


You could alternatively use Speccy or some other alternative, there are plenty out there.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...