Monday, December 16, 2019

Vista shutdown hung after 200 updates

I've recently reinstalled Vista with SP2 on an old laptop to try resolve numerous issues for a friend.



Afterwards I installed all the drivers from the manufactures websites with no problems.



I started the windows update, the check took no less than 20 hours! Finding 201 updates, the download took about 1 hour 30 minutes, at which point I opted to install during the shutdown and go to bed. (Noting it had dropped to 200 updates for some reason?)




I awoke this morning to find it's hung on the 'shutting down...' screen. Left it for a few hours not knowing when (or if) it finished the updates.



Is it save to force shutdown, or should I leave it? I'm not in any rush.






UPDATE



After waiting 9 hours the laptop fan stopped spinning and after a further 3 hours I did a force shutdown. Tried to boot into safe mode but it took longer than normal and reset itself during the boot, during the second boot it started up the 3 step install screen, but failed on step 2 and now it's on a screen I've not seen before saying...





Updates were not configured correctly. Reverting changes.
Do not turn off your computer.




Since we're taking about 200 updates I'm guessing this will never finish reverting!! Anybody seen this before and know how long it takes?



I think I'm going to opt for buying a cheap windows 7 product key. Does anyone know if you can do a clean install of windows 10 with a windows 7 product key? Or do you have to first have windows 7 installed?







UPDATE 2



If anyone is interested the revert only took about 2-3 hours. But I'm not letting it try install all 200 again, just going to try a windows 7 install instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...