Monday, March 11, 2019

Word 2016 use find and replace to add period after "et al"



I'm trying to find all instances of "et al(space)" in a document and replace them with "et al(period)(space)". In Find and Replace with wildcards, I'm typing:



Find: (et al)( )
Replace: \1.\2



Word finds the right character sequence, but replaces "et al(space)" with "et al(space)(period)(space)".



I've tried various combinations of find-and-replace wildcards, but Word keeps adding that extra space before the period.




I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but the text is in a table.



What am I doing wrong? Thanks!



EDIT: I didn't need to use wildcards for this specific case, but was having the same problem (spaces and punctuation being added in the wrong place) in other cases where I did need to use wildcards. I had to turn off Track Changes for the wildcards to work. Kind of an annoying bug, but /shrug.


Answer



Don't use wildcards. "et al " can be replaced using "et al. " without issue:

I highlighted both entries to show the trailing spaces.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...