Sunday, March 24, 2019

what can impact windows performance besides Page File Usage, Available Physical memory and CPU usage?

Usually if windows is running slow (e.g. takes 7 seconds to open an explorer folder when it is usually sub-second), I identify that something chewing up memory or CPU. However, sometimes both are very low and the computer is still slow. In these circumstances, windows behaves like it is waiting for some slow message to get back before it will release reserved CPU to other processes and troubleshooting has proven tricky. I've seen this behavior on multiple computers not just one and am not sure how to troubleshoot it. Right now, I typically open task manager:



  1. click on the processes tab. see if a is spiking the memory, cpu, i/o

  2. spotcheck performance and networking tabs, but don't usually
    find anything.


When I don't find anything useful in memory/cpu where else should I look?


Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...