Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Replicate/Sync a folder on Windows 7


I have a folder located at E:\My Work\code_library which I plan to store code snippets, etc..


I have a folder located at E:\Server\htdocs\code_library which is my Apache root directory


Is there a way that I can edit files at either location and have them replicate/stay in sync/ or BE the same files?


For organizational purposes, I would like to keep files located at E:\My Work\code_library this folder has a large amount of other folders, all work related, it is easy to copy/transport/keep on a thumb drive/etc... these files as they are all located in a convenient location TOGETHER


I then have to keep files at E:\Server\htdocs\code_library as well so I can access them in my web browser and have PHP and stuff work.


Any ideas?


Answer



Assuming you are comfortable with the command line, you can make a symbolic link in htdocs that points to E:\My Work\code_library.


Remove/rename the code_library directory in E:\Server\htdocs. Then open a command prompt, and CD to E:\Server\htdocs. Then make your symbolic link:


mklink /d code_library "E:\My Work\code_library"

I should mention that you can do this the other way. That is, leave the Apache folder code_library in place, and make E:\My Work\code_library a symbolic link that points to the Apache copy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...