Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Run laptop off AC power without charging battery


It's true that keeping lithium batteries fully charged degrades them quicker than at half charge (PDF). I bring my laptop with me in the day, but run it on the charger in the evenings.


Besides removing the battery (not possible on many new laptops), is there a way to run the laptop off the AC adapter without the battery charging?


Answer



Unfortunately, I don't think there's a general solution to this problem, although I'd be happy to be proven wrong.


Certain laptops do have the ability to cap the battery charge. For example, my Toshiba laptop (and presumably other Toshiba models) have a utility that implements an Eco Charge Mode. And apparently the Quickset utility on at least some Dell laptops can be used to disable battery charging, which would let you manually cap the charge. You might try to find out if your laptop has similar features.


That said, I don't think your particular use case should cause too much worry, since you don't keep the battery at full charge for extended periods (days, weeks, etc.). If you want to minimize the full-charge duration, consider putting your laptop to sleep (rather than hibernating or powering down completely) so that the battery discharges a little overnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...