Sunday, March 31, 2019

windows 10 - Files on my secondary hard disk keep disappearing and can be recovered with CHKDSK /F, but CHKDSK /R and SMART find nothing wrong

My desktop has an SSD (840 Evo) as my boot drive and a 3TB WD Red as my data storage drive. I recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my desktop because it was becoming pretty bloated, and since then I've been getting issues with folders frequently disappearing off of the secondary drive.


I'm using directory junctions to move my user folders like Documents, Downloads off of my SSD onto the HDD because I don't have much space on my SSD. From what I can tell I've only had folders disappear from the directory where I keep all of my migrated 'user folders'.



  • Wasn't an issue until I reinstalled windows 10

  • The folder contents can be recovered using CHKDSK /F to found.000, found.001

  • Happens daily, but generally only after using the computer and writing to the directories

  • SMART reports no bad sectors, CHKDSK /R gave it a clean bill of health

  • The SSD is not having any issues with file corruptions, nor is another SSD I've been using in the system to hold things like VM's where disk performance is a bottleneck.


Does anyone have any ideas? This is getting irritating and I'm wondering if it indicates impending drive failure or some other hardware problem.
I've got a backup of the most important files and folders off the disk.


A pastebin of the most recent output of CHKDSK /F can be found here: http://pastebin.com/Xk2wPjvc


Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...