Thursday, March 28, 2019

ubuntu - Is it possible to mount an LVM built on one machine onto another?


I've got a system with three drives that's build as a set of volume groups, under Ubuntu.


I'm moving the drives to my Gentoo server, which has space for all three.


Is it possible to somehow get the Gentoo box to see the existing volume groups somehow? vgscan and vgchange -a y don't seem to indicate that they see any of the volumes - is there some other sort of hackery I need to do to accomplish this?


Many thanks.


Answer



I've scored everyone up as you've all helped in some way of getting me to where I needed to be. I'm filling out this answer for completeness should anyone else ever find themselves in the same bind.


My issues were several, so I'll try and outline them:


On the new box, I failed to (in no particular order):



  1. Have the appropriate file system
    module available (ext4)

  2. Have the appropriate RAID kernel
    modules available (RAID456)

  3. Mount the software RAID devices I
    had created (mdadm --assemble
    --scan)

  4. Marked the filter in
    /etc/lvm/lvm.conf to accept the md
    device as a possible vggroup


After all that, the VG loaded fine and I am able to mount the LV that were created.


Now I just have to figure out a way to remove the miscellaneous md devices I created and merge it all into the VG... If that's possible. Expect another SuperUser question from me shortly. :)


Thanks everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...