Friday, March 29, 2019

windows 10 - What's the Proper Way to Shutdown / Restart a laptop, if it is not responding?

I came across a program that is not responding, and I don't know how to restart the laptop properly.



If you're thinking that I should long press the power button to turn off the computer, no! Yes, it will shutdown the computer improperly, and I could just power it back on. (Just like a restart ...)



But, if I do the things mentioned above, it would damage my hard disk (my laptop only have 1 hard disk). If I power it back on again (after long - pressing the power button), it would do a Disk Check (Scanning and Repairing of the Drive), which takes a long time.




The Disk Check starts quickly, but when it reaches 60%, it runs slowly; but then, when it's 66% / 67%, after some time it would immediately be 100%.



Some things, I think, that is slowing down my computer:




  1. IRQ8




    • I had enabled this setting through Ultimate Windows Tweaker for Windows 10, and everything is just freezing.



  2. Windows Insider




    • I had enabled this on my laptop, and the results is what is expected. It is running very slow, so I decided to just disable this setting.




One more thing, I had disabled the Windows Update service through services, to get rid of that "Getting Windows ready, Don't turn off your computer", which appears at boot.



So, what is the best and the proper way to shutdown / restart a laptop, if it is not responding?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...