Tuesday, March 26, 2019

raid - Storage Spaces - Parity vs Mirrored or Single with Robocopy

So I'm thinking of dropping my Synology RAID 6 NAS and upgrading to Storage Spaces. I have a number of dissimilar sized drives and Storage Spaces would allow me to use those. My NAS is maxed out at 4 drives. I've had a wonderful experience with 4 x 1.5TB drives not having one issue over 5 years.


I attribute that to the SHR (synology hybrid raid (maybe EXT4)). I'm wondering if Storage Spaces will be that reliable? Would I use Parity or Mirrored? I see Mirrored has "scubbing".


My other option is to simply create a "simple" JBOD pool and set up a robo-copy to transfer the data. (The data is all archival). For the Simple is there drive maintenance (scrubbing)?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...